Saturday, February 16, 2013

(Cont.)...Penyejuk Mata - Qurrata áyun

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ

Alhamdulillahirabbilálamin

Allahumma solliálaMuhammad waála alihi wasahbihiwasallam

One of my daughters really favours lectures by Ustaz Nouman Ali Khan. She also persuades me to listen and follow his lectures. Recently, I decided to listen to his lecture and I chose the lecture entitled "My favourite doa from Al Quran".

I was so amazed when he was reciting Ayat 74 from Surah Al Furqan (25:74)

 وَالَّذِينَ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَا هَبْ لَنَا مِنْ أَزْوَاجِنَا وَذُرِّيَّاتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعْيُنٍ وَاجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا

And those who pray "Our Lord! grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes (coolness of our eyes) and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous." 

and when he mentioned that this ayat is his favourite doa. Subhahallah it was the same ayat that my late father used to recite in his supplication for us, his zuriat. I really felt that Allah wants  to improve my understanding about this particular ayat and doa. Alhamdulillah.


Ustaz Nouman elaborated further on how "qurrata áyun"  in Arabic means ''coolness of the eyes". Literally, this phrase indicates the state of peace and tranquility, where all the sorrow is removed completely. While the opposite is ''the eyes become warm" that depicts the state of deep depression, sadness, sorrow and calamity. Another literal (ancient Arab) meaning of coolness of the eyes is  to find refuge from  sand storm so that the eyes are protected.

In this doa, we ask Allah, our Lord to grant us or to give us (especially for us) coolness of the eyes i.e. to make our eyes cool by means of our spouses and children and future generations. This doa is even more relevant to all of us today in view of the current situation where the fundamental institution of family is under attack. The threat or 'storm' exists not only outside but also inside the family itself. To some people, the family has become a place of sorrow, depression, anger or rage. With this doa we ask Allah to make our family and home a place for refuge from the outside ''storm''.


Musafir Al-Ghuroba
Qurrata áyun - In sya Allah

The second part of the doa is to make us leaders over those who are pious/righteous and fearful before Allah. We are setting a precedent in our family for future generations. Therefore, we are answerable to the trend that we set. We hope that when we are raised on the judgement day, our family and future generations will elevate us instead of dragging us down. 

I felt like crying when I learned about this beautiful, powerful and intelligent doa that my late father used to supplicate daily, after every solat. I am so grateful to Allah that I pray Allah would always and forever answer my father's doa. I promised to myself now,  In sya Allah I will make this doa after every solat. I will encourage all my children and whoever read this to also make this doa, In sya Allah. 

Lahaulawala quwwataillah billahiláliyilázim.
Wassalam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim Alhamdulillah, setelah hampir sedekad berkhidmat kepada penghuni penghuni rumah kami, akhirnya unit unit 'sho...